Join Richard Osterlind for a captivating journey back to the golden era of mentalism.
In the late 80's and early 90's, Richard contributed a number of effects to Bascom Jones' brilliant Magick magazine. Now, more than 30 years later, and with the full blessing of George Robinson (the publisher of The Complete Magick), Richard is revisiting these amazing routines with Beyond Magick.
These effects have never seen print outside of Magick. And now, Richard is not only sharing them, but has updated the methods and presentations to serve the modern performer. The best part is that all of these routines (except for one that uses Richard's Stainless Steel Blindfold) don't require any fancy or expensive props. You can do them with stuff you likely already have at home.
When Richard originally published this material, we were living in what is widely considered to be the golden age of mentalism. The Amazing Kreskin was a regular on TV, Uri Geller had laypeople around the world in the palm of his hand, Al Mann was pumping out books and effects and Bob Cassidy was in his prime. Mentalism was really having a special moment.
Along with all that, there was almost a universal understanding of what a mentalist should look like and how he should act. Mentalism was direct and straight-forward and audiences truly believed that there were people in the world who really could read minds. These are the times Richard talks about. Along with the incredible effects explained in this book. Richard will take you back in time so you can feel the mood the way he did!
In total, there are 10 complete routines for mentalists of all types. Here is a sampling of what to expect in Beyond Magick by Richard Osterlind.
- Two ungimmicked dice are locked in a film canister and shook, yet, without touching it, you're still able to divine the numbers showing on the top of each die
- A swami effect where you show your hands empty before and after the reveal that is great for stage and parlor mentalism
- A super clever way to transform a business card case into the perfect peek case
- A stunning routine where you can go to your Facebook page on someone else's phone and reveal a three-digit number that someone freely called out
- An amazing gimmick for reading minds anywhere you go
- A perfect design duplication routine using just an index card and a devious subtlety
- And so much more!
As you've come to expect from Richard Osterlind, every routine is a real gem. There is no fluff in here. Just real workers. Along the way, Richard also shares invaluable advice that will take your performances to new heights.