“Morgan and West are that rare thing, utterly unique, enormously entertaining and totally fooling. This gorgeous book contains all the secrets of their professional repertoire.....What the hell are they thinking! Buy it now before they change their minds”Andy Nyman
"We love you guys!"Penn & Teller
This is the debut hardbound collection from the sensational double-act of Victorian Time-Traveling Magicians, Morgan & West. Unlike most magic books which are comprised of trick descriptions, Parlour Tricks is the dissection of a full ninety-minute show. You'll learn how they approach their material, how they sequence each routine, and how they fit the material to their personalities and premises. This book is a masterclass in building a show and a rare insight into how performers work on a cohesive piece of theater.
It's 356 pages of full-color photographs and detailed description. There are a dozen tricks discussed, as well as deep-diving articles on magic theory. You also get full scripts for each of the effects so that are covered in the book to help you understand the level of detail and precision that go into a Morgan & West show.
You'll learn signature effects like "Ring on Ribbon," "Thought-of Cards Across," and a book test without a book, plus much more! While Morgan & West perform as a duo, this material is easily adapted for solo performers, and all of the advice and theory is applicable to solo magicians.
Bonus: To help ensure the best learning experience, we're also including the full show performance by Morgan & West so that you can enjoy and appreciate the contents of the book live and in action.
"I love this snuff-snorting duo more than I love my taxidermy. I want to climb into a tiny iron bed with them and tickle them in their nightshirts until they consumptively cough up every last filthy blood-soaked secret into their tatty gentlemen’s kerchiefs. Please no-one else buy this book."Derren Brown
“Morgan & West’s book – a full exploration and explanation of their very enjoyable show – is a wild flight of generosity.”David Regal
"Parlour Tricks is not just attractive, it’s informative as well. A real peek inside two minds worth peeking into. Even if they don’t know how to spell parlor."
"Excellent [...] Essential reading for anyone thinking of putting together a show."David Britland
Contents of Parlour Tricks
- Foreword (Hector Chadwick)
- Who Are Morgan & West?
- How to Use This Book
- The House is Now Open
- The Restarting Bottle
- Opening Tricks and the Reworking of a Classic
- Magic Boxes and Strange Looking Props
- Mirror Mirror
- A Moment of Impossibility
- Magic Plots and Types of Surprise
- The Scripting and Development of a Trick
- The Impossible Ring on Ribbon
- Removing the Cards from a Card Trick
- Intra-Sensory Perception
- Humility and Vulnerability in the Performance of Magic
- The Instant Costume Change
- Dealing with Children and the Unexpected
- Number Writing
- Knowing the Unknowable
- Book Tests and Tricks that Make Sense
- The First Version of the Dictionary Trick
- Theatrical Design for the Modern Magician
- Explaining Misdirection
- Misdirection and the Presentation of Magic as Skill
- Setting up the Bag (Part 1)
- Thought of Cards Across
- The Evolution of a Magic Trick
- Nobody Trusts Magicians
- Writing the Audience into the Script
- Tonal Variety and Pacing in a Magic Show
- Setting up the Bag (Part 2)
- The Permanent Linking Rings
- Unanswered Questions and Permanence in Magic
- Setting up the Bag (Part 3)
- The 40 Digit Hyperbrain Act
- Problematic Predictions and Tricks with No Middle
- The Miraculous Escape of Mr West
- Danger and Magic in the Real World
"Parlour Tricks is everything a good magic book should be: clever, insightful, funny and filled with miracles. I can't think of a single magician who wouldn't get a kick out of reading this. The most enjoyable magic book I have read in years - maybe ever."Hector Chadwick (Stephen Long)
“I have just plunged into the new book, Parlour Magic. I have a feeling it’s going to be somewhat like taking tea with Robert Morley at the Savoy. (Too dated? All right: with Stephen Fry at Downton Abbey.) At any rate, Morgan & West are so English you can actually hear them pronounce the U in ‘parlour’. I’m hoping this substantial tome will explain how that is done. Their work is so carefully developed, and so very good, I am quite certain that I’ll learn a lot. And, as with their performances, I know it will be great fun.” Max Maven
“Parlour Tricks is a hugely welcome addition to magical literature. In its holistic approach to sharing how two of today’s hardest working and most dedicated magicians create, hone and perform a theatrical magical experience for modern audiences the astute reader will learn exactly how to do it themselves. Great tricks, trick essays and great insight that could change the way you approach your magic. Highly recommended.”Luke Jermay
Play video interview
Morgan & West creator interview
Watch our exclusive Vanishing Inc. interview to discuss Parlour Tricks right from the source!